Presentation Q&A – How To Answer Presentation Questions In English With Confidence
The Presentation Q&A is a good way to engage and interact more with your audience. And also provides a final opportunity to help the audience and leave a good impression. How To Answer Presentation Questions In English With Confidence.
How To Answer Presentation Questions In English With Confidence
Here are my top tips:
1. Buying Time – sometimes we just need more time to think of how we can respond to a question. A good way to stay calm and to have more time to think is to repeat their question in their own words. For example, “If I understand you correctly what you are saying is, if the project will be delivered on time and to budget, is that correct”, “If I understand you correctly what you are asking is, if the project will be delivered on time and to budget, is that right?”.
2. Clarifying and simplifying questions – this is a great way to give yourself time to think of an answer, to stay calm and also for the other person to think if it was really a useful question for themselves and for the rest of the audience. For example “I don’t follow your question, can you explain it in a different way please?”,”I’m not sure what you mean, can you explain it in a different way please?”.“Can you simplify your question please?”.
3. Connect to and help your audience – the Q&A (questions and answer) is a great way for you to help the audience and for you to connect with the audience. Think of it like a doctor and a patient, you have 1 to 1 consultation with each patient (the audience) that asks you a question. So that you can help them more specifically. It’s a great way for you to engage and connect to the audience. And also to feel like you are really helping the audience. So I always tell my trainees/students in the Q&A session don’t be afraid, it is another opportunity for you to help the audience and connect with them.
4. Anticipate questions – brainstorm a list of 10 questions and put them in order of “most likely to be asked”. Then prepare answers to these questions.
5. Use your voice – remember to use voice techniques to help you answer questions with confidence.
6. Presentation Q&A Practice – practice makes perfect. Prepare and practice answers to difficult questions and by recording yourself (video or audio). Focus both on “what” and “how” you say it then give yourself feedback (“good areas” and “things to improve”).
My Top Tip Recommendation: How to maintain people’s interest when you speak in English
Help a colleague
If you think a colleague or friend would find this post really useful, please share it with them via email or social media.
See you soon! / ¡Hasta pronto!