How to prepare a TED Talk in English for non native English speakers
How to prepare a TED Talk in English for non native English speakers.
How to prepare a TED Talk in English for non native English speakers. We can learn a lot by watching TED Talks given by non native English speakers and giving them feedback (see TED video below) about:
- what they say
- how they say it
And I know how hard it is as I’ve given a lot of presentations in both English (my own language) and in another language (Spanish) at conferences, client presentations and with Toastmasters in Spain. And I´ve learnt a lot by observing and evaluating other presenters and speakers.
So what can we learn from other non native English speakers. Plenty and here are five reasons:
- They have so much more to teach you because they are giving a TED Talk in another language.
- They can teach you how to communicate well in English and get your ideas across to an audience.
- They can teach you how to use CSC communication in English (clear, simple and concise)
- They can teach you how to do public speaking in a second language.
- They can teach your how to develop your confidence speaking and presenting in English!
Six steps on how to prepare a TED Talk in English for non native English speakers.
Here are my six steps to help you prepare a TED Talk in English as a non native English speaker.
- Observe a non native English TED Speaker (see video below) to see what they do well and need to improve (see ‘The English Training Company presentation feedback criteria’ below).
- You give them feedback (see criteria below).
- Then practice your own short TED Talk (3-5 minutes) by recording yourself speaking on a webcam / Smartphone camera.
- Watch it and give yourself feedback (see criteria below).
- Do steps 3 and 4 again. Plus ask one friend to give you feedback.
- Then do your TED Talk again, giving it your best effort!
Activity: Watch the video (6 minutes) and give the TED speaker feedback based on the 5 criteria below. (Feedback – things the speaker does well & things they need to improve).
Give the TED speaker feedback based on the 5 criteria below. (Feedback – things the speaker does well & things they need to improve).
The English Training Company’s ‘Presentation feedback criteria’: Presentation feedback criteria_TETC (pdf)
- Delivery of key messages (e.g. confidence)
- Good opening and closing (e.g cause a good impression, leave a good impression)
- Structure (e.g. easy to follow for the audience)
- Non verbal communication (e.g. hand gestures, eye contact, move around)
- Use of English (e.g. good use of grammar and vocabulary)
Speaking practice & get feedback! Do your own TED Talk in English.
Now record your own TED Talk (4-5 min) about an idea/concept/process/service/product. Record using your webcam or smartphone camera.
Download useful Business English phrases – Presentations 1_Openings and Conclusions_Business English phrases
The English Training Company – Feel equal. Speak, meet and present in English with confidence!
My Top Tip Recommendation: Presenting in English – practice faking it, acting it and becoming it!
Help a colleague
If you think a colleague or friend would find this post really useful, please share it with them via email or social media.
See you soon! / ¡Hasta pronto!