How To Speak With Confidence In Conference Calls In English
How to speak with confidence in conference calls in English, presents us with new opportunities to develop new skills. Conference calls in Zoom , Adobe Connect and Skype are popular to bring country offices closer. And it can feel intimidating without practice.
As a non native English speaker here are my top tips to speak with confidence in conference calls in English. We also give these tips in our Business English training to help professionals:
How to speak with confidence in conference calls in English
- define your conference call outcome (goal) in 1 sentence. For example, what do you want people to do after the conference call?
- introduce yourself simply and concisely and ask others to do the same
- tech tip / use of voice – use a headset with a microphone or use a telephone (go to your own desk if you have to) so you don´t have to shout and wear out your voice
- tech tip / use of voice – don´t use speaker phone, so you don´t have to shout and wear out your voice
- use of voice – speak to people in a natural conversational style and don´t read
- use of voice – project your voice and speak at a good speed (not too fast or slow)
- give specific examples to maintain the interest of your audience
- use visuals with simple messages (the audience remember for longer)
- ask good questions where people have to really think about the answers
- prepare and use notes (1 page only)
- try standing to present.
- if you sit – sit upright, put your chest out and open up your body (no slouching)
- record your conference calls to check key information you may have missed (ask people for permission)
- get used to hearing your voice by recording yourself when presenting (several times) and listening to the recordings.
- practice, practice and practice (good presenters like good actors rehearse two or three times)
I hope this helps you in your job and professional career, Christopher!
My Top Tip Recommendation: How to maintain people’s interest when you speak in English
Help a colleague
If you think a colleague or friend would find this post really useful, please share it with them via email or social media.
See you soon! / ¡Hasta pronto!
For Business English classes and courses (face to face in Madrid and online), contact us via the website or by email [email protected] or a [email protected].